A weekly update from Contact North ǀ Contact Nord,
Ontario’s Distance Education & Training Network
Have colleagues who might be interested in receiving the Online Learning News?
Forward today’s issue and they can subscribe here!
Trends & Directions
- Learning analytics is often a misunderstood concept in the post-secondary education and training field. In this third of a five-part series entitled Key Concepts of Online Learning: Definition - Facts – Opportunity – Examples, Contact North | Contact Nord describes learning analytics, offers key facts and provides examples of its use and links to further information.
- Based on the votes of more than 500 learning professionals in 48 countries, Jane Hart, Founder of the Centre for Learning & Performance Technologies in the United Kingdom compiled the Top 100 Tools for Learning 2013.This is a must read for those involved in teaching and learning.
Open Educational Resources
November 2013, Contact North | Contact Nord's Research Associate, Dr. Rory McGreal, the UNESCO/Commonwealth of Learning Chair in Open Educational Resources, presented 5 professional development workshops on Open Educational Resources (OER) to faculty and instructors on college and university campuses in Ontario with more sessions planned for February 2014.The sessions are part of Contact North | Contact Nord's Emerging Technologies Series.
The sessions are part of Contact North | Contact Nord's contribution to the growing dialogue around the use of OER which includes:
- How really relevant and practical are Open Educational Resources? A case for a little humility about the potential
- Twenty-three different examples of the use of Open Educational Resources within Ontario's public colleges and universities in the Pockets of Innovation Series.
- Contact North | Contact Nord recently joined Open Educational Resource University International Network (OERu) and will use its membership to make more OER resources available to Ontario's public colleges and universities through the Ontario Online Learning Portal for Faculty & Instructors.
- Explore the updated list of Educational Technology and Related Education Conferences for January to June 2014 from Clayton R. Wright. In his 30th edition of the conference list, Wright covers selected events that primarily focus on the use of technology in educational settings and on teaching, learning, and educational administration.
Pockets of Innovation
- Learn how Centennial College designed and developed the Certificate Program in Teaching and Learning in Higher Education to provide the necessary critical thinking skills, knowledge base, and learning management processes for those interested in teaching in higher education.
- Explore online microscopic anatomy laboratory courses – including virtual microscopy slides – developed at Western University.