A weekly update from Contact North ǀ Contact Nord,
Ontario’s Distance Education & Training Network
Have colleagues who might be interested in receiving the Online Learning News?
Forward today’s issue and they can subscribe here!
Trends & Directions
2020 vision: 2014 outlook for online learning and well beyond
In his fifth annual outlook for online learning, Contact North | Contact Nord Research Associate Dr. Tony Bates offers his predictions for online learning for 2014 and well beyond.
Tony's predictions include:
- Online learning will disappear as a separate mode of delivery;
- Lecture-based courses will be a thing of the past;
- Exams will disappear;
- All content will be free;
- Student vouchers will replace block funding;
- Systematic training in teaching for instructors will be compulsory;
- Student privacy and data security will become more difficult;
- More diverse institutions, with more flexible delivery;
- There will be move to program-based funding;
- There will be more lifelong learners than high school graduates admitted each year; and
- Fees will be imposed for selected learner support services.
From the vantage point of his 40 + years of experience in this field, he also identifies the key decisions about online learning that students, faculty, administrators and government will need to make over the next few years.
Tony's annual outlook is a must read for all of us in online learning.
- Not sure about this fast growing concept called blended learning? In the last of the five-part series Key Concepts of Online Learning: Definition - Facts - Opportunity - Examples, Contact North | Contact Nord describes blended learning, offers facts on its use, outlines potential opportunities for blended learning and provides examples of its use.
- If you are planning your professional development budget for 2014, don't miss out on the updated list of Educational Technology and Related Education Conferences for January to June 2014 from Clayton R. Wright. In his 30th edition of the conference list, Wright covers selected events that primarily focus on the use of technology in educational settings and on teaching, learning, and educational administration.
Pockets of Innovation
From Ontario’s public colleges and universities:
- Discover how Nipissing University offers access and flexibility through innovative learning opportunities for nursing students at Nipissing University.
- Read about Centennial College's Playing to Learn: A disaster simulation game for interdisciplinary learning.
Last Week's Most Popular Links on the Portal