- Number of technology-assisted courses: not reported;
- Number of online courses: 20 currently offered;
- Platforms: Blackboard Learn, Adobe Connect for distance courses;
- Multimedia rooms: 3 (Adobe Connect) classrooms;
- Estimated investment: Between $100,000 and $150,000 per year; replacement of computers, projectors and television sets in classrooms; setup of a sound and video recording studio;
- Human resources: Multipurpose team of 5 employees (distance learning and data processing);
- Challenges: Adoption of technology by faculty; access to specialized techno-educational resources;
- Initiatives: Prerequisite online courses; “organic” approaches to growth; local help services;
- Areas of common interest: Strategies for adopting learning technologies; Centre of Excellence and shared specialized resources for smaller institutions; adaptation of techno-pedagogy to the realities of small cyber-learning groups; sharing content.
Saint Paul University sees the convergence of its interests with those of the other Aménagement Linguistique Policy (PAL) partners in the following areas:
- Strategies for demystifying technology, coaching and help to transform established faculty practices;
- The development of a universally accessible Centre of Excellence that includes content and web developers where the vital resources that are needed by small (<1,500 students) institutions could be concentrated;
- Adaptation of the design of pedagogy intended for large groups (for example, a 300-student chemistry class) to the realities of small e-learning groups and adaptation of contents developed elsewhere;
- Sharing of technology is no easy task but transposing elements to be shared may be simpler;
- A framework such as Ontario Online - Centre of Excellence for Online Learning should provide a budget that is reserved for the Francophone institutions, managed by an institution that could make content developed with its financial support available to all members.
The detailed fact sheet can be found in Appendix 12 of the accompanying document. This fact sheet is available in French only.