The Pockets of Innovation Series
Higher education in Ontario, across Canada, and around the world is a hotbed of innovation focused on expanding and improving learning opportunities and increasing success for students through online, blended and technology-enhanced learning.
Since 2011, Contact North | Contact Nord interviewed over 200 innovators at colleges and universities to learn about their online teaching and learning initiatives, specifically the inspiration and motivation for their innovation, its design and delivery, benefits, challenges and potential for further application.
- transforming the teaching and learning experience;
- increasing excellence and student success;
- enhancing engagement and flexibility;
- providing training and support for students, faculty and instructors; and
- benefiting from the multiple opportunities offered by collaboration and new technologies.
The Pockets of Innovation Series includes initiatives from 23 public colleges and 21 public universities in Ontario, as well as higher education institutions in 6 other provinces of Canada, including British Columbia, New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, and Québec and 15 countries around the world: Costa Rica; Denmark; France; Germany; Iceland; Ireland; Israel; Italy; Norway; Scotland; Spain; Sweden; Switzerland; United Kingdom; and United States.
- They represent a new approach;
- They directly support students; and
- The developers are prepared to share their innovations, the challenges they encountered and what they learned with colleagues in Ontario and around the world.
Emerging from the more than 185 Pockets of Innovation are 9 broad themes, showing how these initiatives encompass all aspects of online teaching, learning and organizational planning:
- Educational Design, Courses and Resources
- Diversity in Blended Learning
- Student Access, Engagement and Flexibility
- Supporting Student Success Online
- OER and MOOCs
- Options for Online Assessment
- Faculty Development and Support
- Models of Collaboration
- Organizational Planning for Online Learning
Click on any one of the 9 themes to explore the multiple ways that Pockets of Innovation are developed and adopted for each of these applications and link to examples form Ontario, Canada and around the world.
Click here to read Reflections on the Pockets of Innovation Series, a perspective on the contributions and purpose this initiative.
You can also download our interactive, searchable PDF version of 185+ Pockets of Innovation in Online Learning. Click here to download and share with your colleagues.
Each of the more than 185 innovations in this compilation continues to provide information and inspiration for faculty, instructors, staff, management, policy makers and funders. The Pockets of Innovation Series features more than 135 innovations from faculty and instructors in Ontario public colleges and universities and, in 2016, expanded to include initiatives from faculty in colleges and universities across Canada and internationally.
Contact North | Contact Nord launched the Pockets of Innovation Series in 2011 and, as the dedication and creativity of faculty continue unabated, is continuously adding new examples of ground-breaking projects to its portal, teachonline.ca.
Launched in 2011, teachonline.ca annually offers 275,000 faculty and instructors from around the world access to the latest trends, best practices, training opportunities and teaching resources in online and distance learning.